Our Edge Program:
At FCAC, we are preparing our students to have the Edge in a modern workforce by developing the skills that industry tells us will increase their attractiveness to future employers.
These skills include:
- STEM specialisation (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Problem solving
- Social intelligence
- Community involvement
We want our students to be:
- Successful learners
- Confident and creative individuals
- Active and informed citizens
While we have already integrated many of these skills into our quality delivery of the Australian Curriculum, our Year 7-10 students have the additional opportunity to participate in a range of courses that have been explicitly designed with industry partners and experts to develop the 21st Century skills that employers are seeking.
Our Edge courses are:
- Inclusive: all FCAC students in Years 7-10 are involved once a week during our normal timetable, as well as dedicated Edge days at different points in the year.
- Project based: students gain knowledge and develop skills by investigating and responding to authentic and challenging problems over an extended period of time.
- Not constrained by the curriculum or assessed in a traditional manner, allowing a high degree of flexibility and promoting student engagement.
- Integrated with real world experiences, including incursions and excursions throughout the year.
- Elective: students will have a choice on which programs and skills they want to focus on.
- Developed in partnership with industry, experts and universities.
- Linked to our extra-curricular program for those students seeking a higher level of involvement outside of the classroom.
- Designed to prepare and extend students for success in external examinations, which will be a crucial part of schooling for those students in Year 12 from 2019, as well as preparing them for university or immediate entry into a modern workforce.
At FCAC, we are focused on giving our students an Edge.