Our Edge Program:
At FCAC, we are preparing our students to have the Edge in a modern workforce by developing the skills that industry tells us will increase their attractiveness to future employers.
These skills include:
- STEM specialisation (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Problem solving
- Social intelligence
- Community involvement
We want our students to be:
- Successful learners
- Confident and creative individuals
- Active and informed citizens
While we have already integrated many of these skills into our quality delivery of the Australian Curriculum, our Year 7-10 students have the additional opportunity to participate in a range of courses that have been explicitly designed with industry partners and experts to develop the 21st Century skills that employers are seeking.
Our Edge courses are:
- Inclusive: all FCAC students in Years 7-10 are involved once a week during our normal timetable, as well as dedicated Edge days at different points in the year.
- Project based: students gain knowledge and develop skills by investigating and responding to authentic and challenging problems over an extended period of time.
- Not constrained by the curriculum or assessed in a traditional manner, allowing a high degree of flexibility and promoting student engagement.
- Integrated with real world experiences, including incursions and excursions throughout the year.
- Elective: students will have a choice on which programs and skills they want to focus on.
- Developed in partnership with industry, experts and universities.
- Linked to our extra-curricular program for those students seeking a higher level of involvement outside of the classroom.
- Designed to prepare and extend students for success in external examinations, which will be a crucial part of schooling for those students in Year 12 from 2019, as well as preparing them for university or immediate entry into a modern workforce.
At FCAC, we are focused on giving our students an Edge.
Course Available – Semester 2, 2018
Personal Challenge – choose your own challenge and learn something new.
Birds and Bees – conservation project.
Technologies – HPV – build and maintain a vehicle and then race it in competitions.
Technologies – Be Handy – learn practical skills to help build a better school community.
Technologies – Make. Play. Code. – build an Arduino based DIY gamer kit.
‘I Care’ Community Service Learning – support people and organisations in need in our Community.
The Arts – Mural Mission – create murals for the school and community.
The Arts – Drama Roadshow – create and perform for community groups.
The Arts – Dance Like Nobody is Watching – interpretive dance.
The Arts – Music Maker – build your skills and get ready to go travelling to perform for community groups.
Learning Through Play – learn some new sports and then create your own for others to play.
MacCafe – Read books and run a cafe.
What is Edge+
Edge+ is an extension program for students who consistently perform at high levels in Mathematics or English. Students in this program are taken out of their normal classes once per week to work with Senior teachers on challenging and engaging tasks in order to further extend their skills and knowledge. Students in the Edge+ program also participate in competitions and excursions, including an overnight trip to Brisbane where they participate in learning experiences at the Queensland University of Technology, Queensland Museum, Science Centre and more.