In 2020, students entering Year 7 and Year 10 will be required to bring their own device (BYOD). This marks the second year in a staged transition to a full BYOD model for both the Middle and Senior schools. For 2020, students in Years 7, 8, 10 and 11 will be on the BYOD model, while those in Year 9 and 12 will remain on the existing 1:1 program until the end of the year, with Year 9’s being the final year to transition to BYOD in 2021.
Below you will find an overview of the College’s BYOD program, as well as information relating to suggested specifications and the details of BYOD suppliers. If you have any questions relating to the BYOD at the College, please email us at [email protected].
BYOD can look very different between schools and can be impacted by such aspects as available infrastructure and the school’s philosophy in relation to digital devices. At FCAC, the College is not specifying a particular device that parents are required to purchase. Instead, the College is providing some general specification guidelines and parents will have the freedom to make decisions about what best suits their specific circumstances regarding device usage. Please note however the following caveats:
- Devices that do not run a desktop OS – eg Apple iPads or Android tablets – are not suitable within the College’s BYOD environment. This also includes Google Chromebooks.
- Apple devices that meet the required specifications and run a full desktop operating system (eg Apple Macbooks Pro and Air) can be used; however, access to a Windows environment may be needed. Products such as Parallels (https://www.parallels.com/au/) can be used to run Windows 10 on Apple Mac devices. Please note that there are extra costs associated with this process.
The following table provides an overview of the base and recommenced specifications for BYOD devices.
|Base Specification||Recommended Specification|
|Processor||Core M or i3 Processor||Core i5 or above|
|Memory||4 gig of RAM||8 gigabytes or RAM or above|
|Hard Drive||128 gigabytes SSD||256 gigabytes SSD or above|
|Screen Type||Minimum 11.6 inches||Minimum 11.6 inches with optional touch or stylus|
|Operating System||Windows 10|
|Battery Life||7 hours plus|
|Connectivity||Dual band AC wifi|
|Accessories||Separate laptop bag|
3 year onsite warranty with Accidental Damage Protection (ADP)
As part of the College’s License agreement, students are able to access the full offline installation of Office365. To install MS Office onto your BYOD device, please follow the instructions contained in the following document:
Depending on your knowledge, purchasing a laptop can be a daunting process. To assist parents in making an informed decision, we have worked with some suppliers to provide a shortlist of devices across a variety of price points that address the recommended specifications. Please note that there is no obligation to purchase devices from these providers.
A note about ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) – Please carefully consider the Product Disclosure Statement when choosing ADP and consider such aspects as excess payable, total amount the policy will cover, repair v replacement options and the permitted frequency of claims.
- Extended warranty and ADP must be purchased in the same transaction as the laptop
- JB Hi-Fi BYOD Portal – https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/
- Access the Portal using password: fcac2020
- BYOD JB Hi-Fi Contacts: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/?content=contact
- BYOD FAQs Page: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/?content=faqs
- BYOD Warranty Support: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/support/
Capsicum Computers are a local company that have been offering both general retail and commercial Information Technology solutions for over 15 years.
- Capsicum Website: https://www.capsicumcorp.com
- Phone: 1300 666 626
- Email: [email protected]
- Information Sheet for BYOD Option A Device
- Information Sheet for BYOD Option B Device