In 2021, students entering Year 7 and Year 10 will be required to bring their own device (BYOD). This marks the third and final year of the College’s transition to a full BYOD model for both the Middle and Senior schools. For 2021, all students in Years 7 – 12 will be working on the BYOD model.
Below you will find an overview of the College’s BYOD program, as well as information relating to suggested specifications and the details of BYOD suppliers. If you have any questions relating to the BYOD at the College, please email us at [email protected].
BYOD can look very different between schools and can be impacted by such aspects as available infrastructure and the school’s philosophy in relation to digital devices. At FCAC, the College is not specifying a particular device that parents are required to purchase. Instead, the College is providing some general specification guidelines and parents will have the freedom to make decisions about what best suits their specific circumstances regarding device usage. Please note however the following caveats:
- Devices that do not run a desktop OS – eg Apple iPads or Android tablets – are not suitable within the College’s BYOD environment. This also includes Google Chromebooks.
- Apple devices that meet the required specifications and run a full desktop operating system (eg Apple Macbooks Pro and Air) can be used; however, access to a Windows environment may be needed. Products such as Parallels (https://www.parallels.com/au/) can be used to run Windows 10 on Apple Mac devices. Please note that there are extra costs associated with this process.
The following table provides an overview of the base and recommenced specifications for BYOD devices.
|Base Specification||Recommended Specification|
|Processor||Core M or i3 Processor||Core i5 or above|
|Memory||4 gig of RAM||8 gigabytes or RAM or above|
|Hard Drive||128 gigabytes SSD||256 gigabytes SSD or above|
|Screen Type||Minimum 11.6 inches||Minimum 11.6 inches with optional touch or stylus|
|Operating System||Windows 10|
|Battery Life||7 hours plus|
|Connectivity||Dual band AC wifi|
|Accessories||Separate laptop bag|
3 year onsite warranty with Accidental Damage Protection (ADP)
Warranty and Accidental Damage Protection
The College does not have insurance to cover damage to privately owned laptops.
If a laptop sustains damage while at school, it is important that students alert staff to this issue immediately. This message is reinforced to students during the BYOD induction process.
The College has a pool of replacement devices that students can access for a short-term loan in the event of issues with their devices.
It is recommended that parents source the longest warranty that fits within their budget and consider the option of onsite repair as opposed to a depot warranty (which means the device will need to be couriered back to a repair centre).
Accidental Damage Policies (ADP) is insurance that can be purchased to cover a device in the event it incurs damage that falls outside the scope of the normal warranty terms and conditions. Some manufacturers offer ADP protection, while it can also be sourced through home and contents insurance or third-party providers.
As with all insurance products, please carefully consider the Product Disclosure Statement when choosing ADP including such aspects as excess payable, total amount the policy will cover, repair v replacement options and the permitted frequency of claims.
As part of the College’s License agreement, students are able to access the full offline installation of Office365. To install MS Office onto your BYOD device, please follow the instructions contained in the following document:
Depending on your knowledge, purchasing a laptop can be a daunting process. To assist parents in making an informed decision, we have worked with some suppliers to provide a shortlist of devices across a variety of price points that address the recommended specifications. Please note that there is no obligation to purchase devices from these providers.
- Extended warranty and ADP must be purchased in the same transaction as the laptop
- JB Hi-Fi BYOD Portal – https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/
- Access the Portal using password: fcac2021
- BYOD JB Hi-Fi Contacts: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/?content=contact
- BYOD FAQs Page: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod/?content=faqs
- BYOD Warranty Support: https://www.jbeducation.com.au/support/
Capsicum Computers are a local company that have been offering both general retail and commercial Information Technology solutions for over 15 years.
- Capsicum Website: https://www.capsicumcorp.com
- Phone: 1300 666 626
- Email: [email protected]
- Capsicum BOYD Options 2021